Why does Bridal Makeup cost more than "regular" makeup?


This is something different, but I wanted to incorporate a little more of my makeup business side into my blog. I hope you don't mind and find it interesting! I recently added this into the FAQs section of my MUA website to give brides some insight into where their money goes.

As a bridal artist I often get asked this question (or I can often sense the mental questioning), and as a bride currently planning a wedding I sometimes find myself wondering similar things with the wedding industry. So I totally understand this question and can definitely see where it comes from. Getting your makeup done is the same thing on a regular day as it is on your wedding day right? 

Actually, there is more involved for the artist with bridal work. For example, for a "regular" makeover, the client books in, arrives on the day, has their makeup done and heads off to their event. For a bride:

  • An enquiry is made, the artist provides information on pricing, the booking process and any other details necessary. There is usually questions from both ends, so there is a lot of emailing back and forth that goes on, which takes time.
  • Trials often take up more time than a regular makeover as you are both figuring out, creating, and perfecting the right look. For example, I allot 90mins to be sure, but charge the same as a 60min appt.
  • When I take a booking, I take the time to put together a bridal contract. These are forwarded via Docusign, as digitally signing a contract is more convenient for brides - rather than printing, signing and either posting back or else scanning and emailing back. Docusign is a service that I pay for, specifically for bridal contracts.
  • Between the trial/booking and the wedding I am open to as much correspondence as the bride needs regarding details of the day, questions, tips etc.
  • The time taken to travel to the bride is charged for with a callout fee, however this often does not cover realistic appointment time lost, between time to pack up the kit, leaving early incase of traffic, fuel, unpacking the kit and cleaning brushes before another client can be taken.
  • The wedding makeup itself takes that bit more care for the artist as it must last all day, and these wedding pictures will be cherished forever.
  • Different products might be used, and are often bought by the artist specifically for bridal work. Again, because it needs to suit HD photography and last for a long day.
  • However, because of timing constraints this makeup must also be done quicker. A "regular" makeover appt with me is 1hr allowing a relaxed experience. For bridal makeup I have 45mins per face in order to make sure that the entire group is ready for when the photographer needs.
  • So the makeup work itself is more intense, as it must be done faster but with more care. 
  • All the extra time and cost that goes into bridal work is compensated in a small increase in charge per face.
Of course every artist has a different process and charges differently, but I hope that this gives some understanding into what goes on "behind the scenes" for bridal work.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Let me know if this kind of content is interesting for you.
Christine
x

PS If you're a Cork bride looking for a makeup artist you can check out my official website ChristineOConnorMUA.com

Comments

Popular Posts