Contour/Highlight/Blush - Creams & Powders | Janbeautary Day 9


So I now have a dedicated brow tutorial and I wanted to do a dedicated contour video. That turned into a contour, highlight and blush video, which then became a creams vs powders video. So...here is a tutorial dedicated to applying contour, highlight & blush in both creams & powders. Enjoy!

The Video




The Products


Real Techniques: "Contour" brush
Sedona Lace: "FB 03 Tulip Contour" brush
Real Techniques: Blush brush (mentioned as powder contour alternative)
Morphe: "M501" brush (mentioned as powder contour alternative)
Graftobian: HD glamour creme super palette in "Warm"
Nyx: Contour palette
Elf: HD Cream blush in "Superstar" (apparently they don't do these anymore though!)
Inglot: Freedom blush "29"
Inglot: Amc Crayon "28" (mentioned as lip colour)

The Finished Effect








My Opinons


  • I personally find powders quicker and easier to work with. There is less blending time as the product is not as thick. I am, however, much more used to powders and so am naturally slower with creams as I don't have the day-to-day practice with them.
  • For my own skin type (oily, acne-prone, with scars/marks), I prefer to use powders as they keep me matte, stay on longer, and don't show up any texture.
  • I also like my makeup to be more glam than natural. If I'm going to sit down and spend time contouring and highlighting my entire face, I want to see it! (Most of the time) And I feel like I can get that effect easier with powders.
  • The only thing I found I preferred the cream for, was the nose contour. It blended out instantly and smoothly because I was using so little product. I like my nose contour to be more natural and, again, cream gives a more natural effect.
  • I would also note that I think creams are more forgiving and easier to fix mistakes with. They can be blended off the skin and corrected with other creams easier. A powder that is too heavy or in the wrong area needs serious blending and correcting.
  • So while I prefer powders, you might prefer creams if you a) have dry skin, b) have no texture issues, c) prefer a more natural than glam look, or d) are just beginning to practice contouring.

I hope that this was helpful, interesting or entertaining!

See you later for more Janbeautary!

Christine
x

Comments

Popular Posts